The following is a shortlist (not all) of some of New York's worst projects you should never walk thru alone. Back in the early to mid 1990's, if you stepped through someone's projects and you had no props (meaning you knew no one there to verify or protect you), chances were you got robbed, shot, or killed. Back then, you couldn't walk in and out of any New York City project wearing Double down goose jacket, Fila.com, TommyUSA.com, PhatFarm.com, Polo.com, Shearling-Sheepskin coats, Timberland.com footwear, nor wearing Michael Jordan sneakers-Polo boots or gold teeth.
Heads immediately "peeped your steelo," and figured you out in very little time, giving them an opportunity to run up on you either flipping a razor blaze from underneath their tongue and placing it to your side cheek, pulling out a .380 Chrome handgun, or "heads catching wreck" on you (meaning getting a beatdown from a group of young men).
Worst New York City "jects" no one should walk in alone:
1. Flatbush Gardens - formerly known as "Veer projects" located on New York and Foster Avenue in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn.
2. Hammel projects - Located in Far Rockaway, New York near seaside and Beach Channel drive, these jects were notorious back int he mid 1990's as a person who used to go by the name "the general" was known for allegedly running operations (almost everything not legal).
3. Louis Pink houses - Located off of Linden Blvd. heading toward Howard Beach.
4. Marcy projects - These jects represent the home of rappers Memphis Bleek and LifeandTimes.com founder Jay-Z.
5. Queensbridge houses - Mobb deep and Nas are from these projects. You know the deal and you know their reputation. Enough said.
6. Ravenswood houses - Located down the block from QB (QueensBridge). If you try to buy pot from anyone around there and they don't know you, heads will pat you up and down to see if you're an undercover NYPD officer. They don't care if they don't know you from a can of paint either. Back then, it was rumored that "Birdman" (not that rapper) was seen from time to time feeding the birds. If you're from New York, you know who that is.
7. Walt Whitman houses - Another New York City project you don't want to be caught in at night alone, especially wearing all name brand clothing with gold teeth and Jordan's on.
Stay tuned for a possible future follow-up on "Projects in NYC not safe to walk thru alone."